Friday, July 31, 2009

How We Think and Talk About Food

The New York Times Happy Days blog has a sweet collection of short anecdotes wrapped around the common thread of treats, mostly ice cream, and the preciseness of terminologies related to them.

There's something to be said for being aware of the things we like and just how we like them and, if we're able to get to the bottom of it, why. To eat purposefully is to create the indelible memories that we dig into each time we eat again or when we want to recall specific people, places and events.

I loved this answer to what the Xerox machine sounds like:

"When I asked him what he liked about the Xerox sound, he said, I guess it’s a kind of a creamy, crunchy sound, like the inside of a Twix Bar."

And the idea of creating a record of what ice cream flavors or desserts I choose each time I have them, just might become my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment