Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Small Bites

-Several restaurants around the city have spawned their own ice cream carts hawking ice cream from their storefronts. The Times taste tests several of them.

-And what better to go with ice cream than...Korean fried chicken! If you haven't had it, read Gourmet's essay about a first-timer. And then head to Mad for Chicken (formerly Bon Chon) in Koreatown.

-If watching Julie & Julia made you want to buy Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, don't bother says Regina Schrambling on Slate. Why? Because you'll never cook from it.

-When I am investigating a restaurant's worth, I sometimes check Yelp for a quick reference. But perhaps it is not to be trusted. Some places are rewarding or bribing people to give them good reviews. But I know never to trust only one source. I'm a more thorough researcher than that. Cross check!

-The Atlantic touts Jeni's Splendid ice creams, which Food in a Nutshell wrote about a couple of months ago when a Brooklyn market began carrying pints of it. If only I had known about this place during my years in Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment