Monday, November 15, 2010

Burgers & Cupcakes Review

There's a lot of competition for burgers in the Times Square area these days with places like Schnipper's, Five Guys and Shake Shack within a few blocks of one another. Burgers & Cupcakes is slightly farther south of the main hustle and bustle, but sits on restaurant-heavy Ninth Avenue in Hell's Kitchen. And it marries two things this city has been crazy for for some time now — burgers and cupcakes.

I'm not a huge fan of beef burgers (though Shake Shack has managed to win me over), so I was glad to see that Burgers & Cupcakes offered other burger options such as turkey and salmon. Beyond lettuce, tomato, onions and a pickle, the toppings come a la carte and you pay $1 for each one. I went for the turkey burger with Swiss cheese and a side of fries. Because turkey burgers are leaner than beef ones, they are more prone to produce a dry patty. But my burger was moist and I liked the soft, doughy roll it came on. I was also excited to see that the fries were thin cut and crispy, a style I love but don't find often.

Though this was my first time eating in at Burgers & Cupcakes, I was previousy introduced to the cupcakes when some coworkers brought them in to the office. Before I was told where they had come from, I thought they were homemade. The cake is spongy and soft. The frosting-to-cake ratio falls more heavily on the frosting side, but the frosting has great flavor that is more than just sugar. This chocolate peanut butter cupcake is my favorite. The delicious chocolate ganache is wrapped in a coat of peanut butter and crowns a mix of chocolate and vanilla cake. The cupcakes here don't look as though they've had growth hormone added to them, but rather are suited to being a post-dinner treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment