- Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops with creamy chestnut polenta and grilled butternut squash, aged balsamic
- Anything with sea urchin catches my eye. This was perfectly done. The pasta was well-cooked and had the oceany flavor to it.
- Farro is another ingredient I love to see on menus. But, as I think can often be the case with grains, the kitchen relied too much on butter to flavor this dish.
- The skin on the fish was terrifically crispy.
- Dessert was a wonderful Manjari Chocolate Mousse with spiced cream, sorrento walnut gelato, spiced bread. We also had a plate of olive oil gelato, ricotta almond gelato and clementine sorbet. The gelati flavors were mild — Otto is still the place to go for the olive oil gelato — and the sorbet was overly tart and tasted slightly artificial.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
The only decent last-minute Saturday night reservation I could get for my family was at Allegretti, a restaurant specializing in food from the south of France, in the Flatiron district. My father has high standards and is often hard to please when it comes to new restaurants, but he seemed quite pleased with what Allegretti had to offer. The dishes offered interesting combinations of ingredients and managed to pull them off well.
Posted by kitchenette at 9:35 AM