Monday, August 16, 2010

Recent Eats

I recently stepped in to the world of chef Kurt Gutenbrunner's restaurants specializing in Austrian food, with brunch at Blaue Gans. An early meal meant my dining companion and I had the place to ourselves for awhile. The offerings are fairly simple as is the presentation, but they're done well and reasonably priced. I'd like to return for dinner sometime.
 
Two Poached Eggs with Creamed Spinach and Baked Ham, Hollandaise Sauce.

Wiener Schnitzel, Potato Cucumber Salad and Lingonberries.
 ***

If you need to stock up on Japanese products, head to Mitsuwa Marketplace in New Jersey. You don't even need a car because they run a shuttle from Port Authority for $3 each way. And be sure to go hungry because the food court is great. You can gaze at the realistic plastic food displays to decide what you want among several different vendors. I chose ramen from Santouka and added a side of rice because I just love rice.

Stop at Ito En for a green tea soft serve after you're done shopping.

***

I also took a return trip to Basta Pasta recently, which I had tried out earlier this summer. My second experience was just as good as the first, if not better because we added some decent desserts to the mix.
The Niman Ranch pork loin was on the specials menu again, but this time it was prepared with basil, tomato, mozzarella and olive oil. It's a very satisfying appetizer.

I got the Fettucine Bolognese with Basta Pasta's original meat sauce. The pasta could've been cooked slightly more al dente, but the meat sauce was hearty.

My dining companion went for the spaghetti with tobiko (fish roe) and shiso. The texture of the roe adds a fun crunch to the pasta and the shiso is a bright addition.

I really liked this dessert crepe with strawberries and basil and vanilla ice cream.

We were intrigued by the yogurt mousse with gelato and fruit. The mousse had the consistency of whipped cream but was slightly sour. It was worth getting, but I preferred the crepe.

All in all, another satisfying dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment